1996 International Conference on Radiation and Health

          CALL FOR PAPERS:  (details at end)

The International Conference on Radiation and Health Ben Gurion
University of the Negev, Beer Sheva, Israel.  Nov 3-7, 1996
inclusive.

The overall focus of the conference concerns the effects of
radiation on population groups. What are the initial effects
and how can they be detected, evaluation of delayed effects,
how do populations respond, what are the risks and what
policies are needed?

Subject areas that fit within the overall focus for symposia
and abstract submission are:

1.  Physics and health physics:
     Radioisotope methodology, whole body counting, ground contamination,
     dosimetry modelling, population dosimetry; metabolism, turnover and
     dosimetry of radioisotopes in vivo.

2.  DNA mutation, detection and radiation carcinogenesis in humans:
     Detection of mutations in eukaryotic cells, relationship of mutations
     to carcinogenesis, gene functions and oncogene expression in relation
     to radiation exposure and DNA repair.

3.  Biological indicators of exposure:
    Cytogenetics, chromosome painting, clastogenic factors and oxygen
    toxicity micronuclei, glycophorin-A, HPRT. Storage of tissues for
    possible future technologies

4.  Long term chronic and stochastic effects:
     Carcinogenic (leukemia, thyroid, early indicators of malignancy):
     Genetic (mutation detection and incidence, methodologies, role in
     carcinogenesis):
     Other effects.

5.  Epidemiology: Environmental and occupational exposures:

     (a) Population exposures due to natural radon, in miners; space
         environment.

     (b) Chernobyl and other major population exposures, clean-up workers
        (liquidators). Monitoring of health problems. Analytical bases
        for intervention.

    (c) Thyroid: Incidence of thyroid cancer in children, autoimmunity,
        relationship between dose and effect, hormonal responses.

6.  Non-ionizing radiations
     Exposure to power line and transformers, microwave and radar,
     ultrasound UV and their effects.

7.  Psychosocial:
     Counselling, post traumatic stress disorders, evaluation of impact,
     referral methodologies, prevention of stigmatization.

8.  Risk assessment:
     For radiations of different kinds. Population subgroups who are at
     higher risk than most of the population. The new radiation guidelines.
     BEIR VI.  Observed cancers from Chernobyl and expected rates based
     on Hiroshima-Nagasaki.

9.  Health policy
     Limitation of exposure, prevention of late effects, exposure limits,
     screening, long term management of exposed populations, economic
     considerations.

10. Priorities for future work:
     Direction of future studies, methodology for optimal follow-up data
     collection. Cooperation and collaboration between working groups.
     Training of research staff.

DEADLINE FOR ABSTRACT SUBMISSION:  April 30, 1996

FORMAT: Word or WordPerfect

MEDIUM:  Diskette plus four typed copies.  DO NOT FOLD COPIES

METHOD:  Air Mail (not courier) in a padded envelope marked "do
not fold".  Faxed abstracts should be followed by a hard copy
as described above.

ABSTRACT DETAILS:  Written in English, typed single spaced in
Times or Times New Roman Font in 10-11 point, in an area 15 cm
wide by 23 cm deep (6x9 inches) on a single A4 or quarto size page

Title should be in CAPITAL LETTERS.  Leave 1 line empty and
then type the author's names and addresses (underline the name
of the presenter, but not the address), then leave 2 lines
empty and begin the text of the abstract.

ORAL PRESENTATIONS:  Papers will be allocated 15 minutes.
Authors are advised to speak for 12 minutes and allow 3 minutes
for discussion.

IMPORTANT DATES:

April 30, 1996	Deadline for abstract submission
May 31, 1993	Notification of acceptance
June 1996	Second Announcement & Tentative Program

CONFERENCE SECRETARIAT:
International Conference on Radiation and Health Secretariat
C/O Ortra Ltd., P.O.B. 50432, Tel Aviv 61500 ISRAEL.
Fax +972 3 5174433

GENERAL INFORMATION

Temperatures range between 22-25 degrees C during the day
dropping to 12-15 degrees C at night.  We suggest you bring
sunglasses, a hat, comfortable walking shoes, and a jacket for
outdoor events.

It is Israel's policy to allow entry to all international
participants, irrespective of their country's formal
relationship with Israel.

An elaborate social program of social events will include
receptions, outings, and folklore performances with a special
program for accompanying persons.

The official language of the conference is English.

The Organizers intend to publish the proceedings of the
Conference.  Further information will be made available later.

The organizers express their thanks to the United States
Department of Energy and to Nahal Soreq Nuclear Research Center
(Israel) for their kind support.

| H   H   M       M   L	       Gary H. Kramer  		              |
| H   H   MM     MM   L        Head, Human Monitoring Laboratory      |
| H   H   M M   M M   L	       Canadian National Calibration Reference|
| H   H   M  M M  M   L	       Centre for In-Vivo Monitoring          |
| HHHHH   M   M   M   L	       775 Brookfield Road, Ottawa, Ontario   |
| H   H   M       M   L	       CANADA K1A 1C1			      |
| H   H   M       M   L	       Tel: 613 954 6668;  Fax 613 957 1089   |
| H   H   M       M   LLLLLLL  GKRAMER@HPB.HWC.CA	              |