GPS System -Reply

Note: I tried sending this message direct but got a
nasty-gram. Go ahead Melissa -- hit me, beat me, make me
write bad checks! <grin>

Carson --

Do you consider DOE to be part of the "nuclear industry"?
DOE uses a GPS system called TRANSCOM (well, actually
it's a subset of a commercial system called QUALCOMM) to
track & communicate with highway route controlled quantity
(HRCQ) shipments of radioactive materials.

As for us, the only thing we CURRENTLY use GPS for is
locating our environmental monitoring locations so that we
can map them. We are PLANNING, however, to purchase a
mobile real-time radiation monitoring system (including GPS
positioning) this year.

P.S. I just remembered -- the State of South Carolina has a
mobile van that uses a GPS system connected with a
real-time radiation monitoring system. They bought the
system from Nuclear Research Corporation. You can
contact:

Ms. Sandra Threatt
Manager, Nuclear Emergency Planning Section
SC Department of Health & Environmental Control (DHEC)
Bureau of Solid and Hazardous Waste
Division of Waste Assessment and Emergency Response
2600 Bull Street
Columbia, SC 29201
(803) 896-4000

Let me know if I can be of any more help.

Jim Hardeman, Manager
Environmental Radiation Program
Environmental Protection Division
Georgia Department of Natural Resources
4244 International Parkway, Suite 114
Atlanta, GA 30354
(404) 362-2675   fax: (404) 362-2653
Jim_Hardeman@mail.dnr.state.ga.us

>>> Carson Riland <car5635@VMS1.tamu.edu> 01/29/96
23:47 >>>
I am looking for any information regarding the use of GPS or
any other positioning system in the nuclear industry (tracking
rad-waste shipments, surveys, etc.).  Please send any leads
to:

Carson Riland car5635@zeus.tamu.edu

Thanks in advance for any help

   Carson A. Riland