Subject: Source Material Exemption
Author:  radsafe@romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu at ~GW1
Date:    2/8/96 10:50 AM

I think a review of 10 CFR 40.22 is in order.  40.22(a) grants a general
license to possess 15 pounds of source material at any one time and up to
150 pounds per year.  40.22(b) exempts persons from the requirements of
Part 19, 20, and 21, PROVIDED that the exemption does not apply if the
person has a license for source material.  So, if you have a license for
depeleted uranium in shielding or a counterweight, you MUST dispose of the
material in accordance with Part 20.

This mean that you can transfer the material to a person (as defined by
regulation) with a general license who does not have a source material
license.  And that person can dispose of the material without regard to
its radioactivity.

Kent Lambert
LAMBERT@hal.hahnemann.edu

These are my thoughts.  If they are wrong
I accidentally pressed the send instead of
the delete key.  My employer makes no claim
to endorse my opinions.