Anecdote

While working as a health inspector for the State of Michigan, our
office got a call from a physician who's partner had died. It seems that
the deceased had treated skin disorders with radium needles, and the
surviving partner wanted to get rid of them. Well, another HP and myself
grabbed some survey meters and headed over to the Dr.'s office. The
receptionist showed us into the Dr.'s private office and we sat down on
the couch to await his arrival. Wanting to be ready, I turned on a
trusty Victoreen 440, and prepared it for a survey. Unfortunately, the
needle didn't leave the high end peg mark after turning the knob past
the battery check station. As we were puzzling over what to do with the
allegedly faulty instrument, the Dr. came in to the office. We
introduced ourselves and discussed the situation. When we indicated that
we'd take possession of the needles, he reached under the couch we were
sitting on and pulled out a folded lead apron, which he proceeded to
unfold and reveal about 14 needles. Needless to say, we rapidly became
quite explicit in our instructions on how to properly store radioactive
material.

Donald P. Mercado, O/47-20, B/101      PROFS Nickname: DMERCADO
Radiation Safety Officer        Internet: Don@LMSC.Lockheed.com
Lockheed Martin Missiles & Space            Tel. (408) 742-0759
Sunnyvale, Ca 94089                         Fax. (408) 742-0611