Re: Mrad dosimetry

Igor Azhgirey in Moscow asks:
>>does anyone know a reliable tool, other than an ionization chamber, for
>>megarad (10 Mrad) dosimetry measurements in the mixed field generated by a
>>high-energy accelerator?

After further thought I add to my previous response:

If we are dealing with Mrad doses then we generally do not use rem (Sv).
So what we need is a tissue equivalent calorimeter that will measure the
total energy deposited in a given mass of tissue.  An ion chamber made of
materials similar to those found in tissue is a reasonable choice, even for
neutral particles.  The major problem will be scattering from other
materials that may be nearby.

Mike McNaughton
MCNAUGHT@LANL.GOV