Re: mixed waste stuff

     Uranyl Nitrate hexahydrate solution is a corrosive as listed in
     49CFR172.101  HazMat Table.  Uranyl Nitrate, solid is listed as an
     oxidizer.  These should not be confused.

Subject: mixed waste stuff
Author:  radsafe@romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu at Internet
Date:    2/8/96 11:27 AM

Some questions still persist in my mind about whether or not certain
compounds containing source material might qualify as mixed waste.
I have encountered the following compounds(uranyl nitrate or acetate,
and thorium nitrate) in the following situations research laboratories, public
school chemistry storerooms,
commercial labs, and illicit drug labs(by correspondance only!) I'm
not a chemist, but have been told that at least thorium nitrate and
posssibly(?) uranyl nitrate might be strong oxidizers and therefore
qualify as hazardous waste because of that property.  Also uranium is
a chemically toxic agent at certain concentrations, which might also
qualify it as a hazardous waste. If these properties do qualify the
above mentioned compounds as hazardous waste once declared, then it
sounds like mixed waste to me.    Comments?

               Russ Meyer
               Internet: cmeyer@brc1.tdh.state.tx.us
               tel: 512/834-6688

               fax: 512/834-6654