Re: Shielded glasses

Hi Alex,

>Shielded glasses?!?!? No one uses them down here - at least I've never heard
>of them. How practical would they be?? At 125kVp they would have to be
>either quite thick or quite dark. In any case they would be heavy and
>uncomfortable to wear for extended periods.

They may not be used in the far north of OZ but they are used in Sydney, at
least in the Cardiac Cath Lab and by Radiologists performing angiography,
but not, as far as I am aware in Endoscopy.  I don't have the transmission
data to hand, but about 10 years ago the NSW EPA did a survey of different
glasses and found that those from OPSM gave the best results.  I have bought
a number of pairs from OPSM. They are available to prescription if the
wearer normally requires glasses. One of our senior radiographers who worked
permanently in the angio room had prescription lead glasses made.

Regards

Richard Smart PhD
Department of Nuclear Medicine
St. George Hospital