Re: Thyroidectomy/Thyroid Burden Measurements

At 10:35 AM 2/16/96 -0600, you wrote:

>As an aside to Albert Lee Vest's comments, here is an interesting
situation. We had a researcher
>who HAS NO THYROID GLAND. He was performing protein iodinations in a
charcoal filtered glove box
>using up to 40 mCi of I-125 at a time. Thinking that performing thyroid
burden measurements MAY
>be futile on this individual, I contacted the NRC for clarification.  I was
informed that the
>measurements are necessary regardless of the presence of the critical organ.

I found this interesting and wondered how our office (DOE) woule address
this.  I'm not sure if
the measurements mentioned above are derived from 10CFR20 or from a specific
requirement in their
license.  DOE requires bioassay at 100 mrem CEDE.  The department also
allows the use of models
that are appropriate and justifiable.  In this case, if a site could
technically justify that
this individual did not have the potential to exceed 100 mrem CEDE, I (read
"me" not "DOE")
believe that there would not be a problem.  Assuming an accidental intake
did occur, then it
would also be reasonable in the calculation of CEDE to take individual
specific characterics
into account in determining compliance with the regulations. The only
question would be, which
model do you use?  Sounds like a task for Mike Stabin at ORISE to me!

What do others thing about this subject?

Bob Loesch

Robert M. Loesch
DOELAP Administrator
U.S. Department of Energy
Germantown, MD 20874
(301) 903-4443
loesch@spok.eh.doe.gov
Random number generation is too important a task
            to  be left to chance!