RAD-SAFE MGT SYSTEM

RAD-Safers,

Our organization (Radiation Safety Division, Human System Center, Brooks
AFB, TX) is currently evaluating available Radiation Safety Database
Management Systems (Computer-PC Based) to replace our networked mainframe
based system.  We are looking at both commerical and user developed systems
that the USAF may purchase or obtain as share/free ware.  Included in our
evaluation effort is Bill Schadt's CHAMMP Database System (Radiation
Technology, Inc).

Our organization is similar to a large college campus with several remote
sites.  We have 27 major laboratories, 278 sealed sources, over 300 drums in

decay in storage, several hundred items in disposal storage, and receive
500-800 shipments per year.  We also have a clinical and research nuclear
medicine department.  We have only a staff of three to handle the program so

a good solid database system is critical to our mission.

On the computer side of the house we have DEC 2100s NT Servers and DEC 4710
Open VMS Servers.  All our users are networked  with about 10 maximum active

users at any one time.  We have numerous printers, mostly HP Laser Jet 4 and

QMS Magic Color Laser Printers.  We have in-house programmer and operator
staff available for software modifications and system/network installation.

Several fine user designed Radiation Safety Management Systems were recently

presented at the HPS meetings but none were available for purchase or as
share/free ware.  Before we (the USAF) spend your (the taxpayer) money, we
what to make sure we get the best system for the dollars invested.

Please forward your comments on database systems, available commercial
software, and sources of share/free ware or user database systems that can
be purchased.

Thanks for your help.

TOM KAY
 - -