Tritium Decon

     In answer to Les' call for Canadian Help.

     I used to work at the Darlington Tritium Removal Facility
     and can offer my condolences to anyone trying to decon
     tritium contaminated materials.

     There is only one way that we found which would effectively
     remove tritium from material and that is, as Les suggested,
     heating it.
     Typically, we're talking 250-300 C.
     A Vacuum furnace can be used if it is available and large enough.
     Heating tape or similar heating attachments can be applied to surfaces
     to raise their temperature substantially.

     The problem with surface decon is that the "dissolved" tritium will
     continue to migrate to the surface (driven by the concentration
     gradient) after surface cleaning.
     This process seems to equilibrate after about 24 hours and the only
     way to prevent it is to remove all of the tritium from the bulk of the
     material by heating it and "boiling" it off.

     Something else to consider, the tritium comes off the material almost
     exclusively in the oxide form. This makes it a much more serious
     inhalation hazard than tritium gas. Depending on your materials and
     heating rates, high "puff" concentrations are possible.

     Other than that, if you can't heat the item to decon it, and it is
     porous material you might try soaking it in water, but that just gives
     you a whole new set of problems !! I would recommend sending it
     straight to rad waste !

     Hope this helps.

     James Presley
     Health Physicist