Re[2]: MDA of radionuclides in soil (Regulatory Issues)???

For DOE sites in the state of ****, MDA's do not appear to be steeped in logic
or to have technical merit.  It seems to be based on "tribal knowledge", which
prevails to this day.

For example, at the ****** facility, the MDA for total uranium for the facility
monitoring program, is 0.1 pCi/gr (or liter).  The Bureau of Radiation
Protection for the state has asked many times as to "why" this level is so far
below background.  It turns out that "this is the way it is".  Each DOE facility
operates (to my observation) in an autonomous fashion, using whatever MDA's they
deem to be appropriate so as to detect levels of activity above background.

After a year of "banging my head against a concrete wall", I have decided to
accept these tremendouly low levels and continue to do my job until some one
greater and better decides to standardize or rationalize instument MDA's for
environmental monitoring programs.

P.S.  I agree with Jim Barnes as to cringing at a 5 billion second count to
detect a fractional pCi/gr (l) of anything.