Re[4]: Van de Graaff decon

     I agree...good old soap and water...

Subject: Re:: Re[2]: Van de Graaff decon
Author:  radsafe@romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu at ~GW1
Date:    2/26/96 9:55 AM

Question:

Is  a  chelating agent really helpful when deconning tritium,  or
would  plain  old  detergent do just as well?  You  National  Lab
tritium folks can jump in here.

James J. Thompson, Ph.D.

An Answer:

     James,

     While  I am not (by any means) an expert on decontamination,
I  have cleaned up more than my share of spills as a H.P.   IMHO,
the  decision chain for using a chelating agent (or any  cleaning
"agent")  for any radioisotope depends both on the  radioisotope,
its  chemical  form, and the surface on which it rests.   I  have
"easily"  cleaned up tritium on many surfaces simply using  ivory
liquid  and  water.  Conversely, I have been unable to  clean  up
tritium  on  other  (especially porus) surfaces (I  keep  getting
positive  results on wipes) no matter what I tried (and I tried a
LOT   of  things  including  abrasives  [I've  never  tried  high
temperatures]).   The  reason I use Ivory soap (no I  don't  have
stock  in  the  company)  is  that  it  doesn't  have  any  weird
"emulsifiers"/"brighteners"       which      show      up      as
chemiluminescence/photoluminescence  on  my liquid  scintillation
counter results.

     Hope this helps,

     Joel T. Baumbaugh (baumbaug@nosc.mil)
     Naval Research and Development (NRaD)