Re: Shipping Limited Quantity of RAM

Please correct me if I'm mistaken but...
Isn't a smoke detector classified as a "consumer commodity"
and therefore exemept from the labeling, markering etc.
requirements?  Most "individual" consumer products under
the scenario described by Tad would not require the
mover to act as a shipper as I understand it.  Three
smoke detectors would be similarly classified (I believe)

Even so, the smoke detector would have to exceed
0.5 millirem/hr in order not to be excepted under
49 CFR 173.421 through 173.422 and require some
type of "notice" as described therein

According to 49 CFR 171.8 (definitions) -paraphrased-
--------
Consumer Commodity:  a material that is packaged and distributed
in a form intended or suitable for sale through retail sales
agencies...for consumption of individuals for purposes of
personal care or household use.

Furthermore, a smoke detector may be classifed as a life
saving device as well.

49 CFR 173.219: -paraphrased-
-----
(a)  A life saving device...containing small quantities of
hazardous materials which are required as part of the
life saving appliance must conform to the requirements
of this section.
(c)  Materials therein...must be packaged in other strong
outer packagings.

I don't have any idea about the static eliminator
containing PO-210 other than under 49 CFR 173.422
exceptions for manufactured instruments.

Hope this helps.

Kerry Pate
MUSC
Environmental Hazards Assess. Program