Re: Shipping Limited Quantity of RAM

Just a short clarification:

My response was simply based on an individual moving between
households (per Tad's scenario) and not disposal :)

But, the refusal to accept at the annual hazmat cleanup
could be based on (I'm guessing here),
(a) small quantities of RAM in comparison to other wastes
(b) permits, disposal facilities, cost, refusal to accept by contractor
(c) just a big pain in the butt
(d) all of the above

You are right though, it is a huge catch 22 for the
gov't to "classify" a device with RAM as a consumer
commodity, and then later designate it as a hazardous
waste when it is discarded.  Could someone from
DOT, EPA, NRC  etc. out there give us an explanation?
I would be willing to be that (90% or better) of
individuals would just throw it in the trash and
don't even know there is RAM in the detector.

Kerry Pate
MUSC
Environmental Hazards Assess. Program
Charleston, SC