Work Restrictions for Nuclear Medicine Patients

Good Morning,

I am polling you to determine how many facilities restrict Nuclear Medicine
patients from Radioactive Material Areas.  In previous experience at a
commercial nuclear plant, we would restrict access to the plant until the
worker could clear a portal monitor.  This was done to avoid confusing plant
contamination with medical activity.  Following a Tc-99m stress test a worker
would read as much as 35,000 cpm on a direct frisk.  This activity was enough
to alarm a portal monitor 15 feet away(5 meters).

Currently at Sandia, RP only recommends that the worker not enter Rad
Materials Areas, leading to some problems.  So I wanted to see how many
facilities restrict worker access following a nuclear medicine procedure.

Please respond to me directly and I will summarize and post the results to
RADSAFE.  Thanks!

Jamie Mallon CHP
jmallo@sandia.gov
505-844-8287