Re: Atomic Weight of "Tritiated Water"

>When we speak of "tritiated water", to what are we referring, T2O or HTO?
>This makes a difference when we want to speak of its molecular weight.  T2O
>has a MW of 22 (3X2 + 16).  HTO has a MW of 20 (3x1 + 1X1 + 16).  This is a
>difference of some 10%, which may be significant.
>William G. Nabor
>University of California, Irvine
>EH&S Office
>Irvine, CA,  92717-2725
>WGNABOR@UCI.EDU

... and then one can deal only with DTO, which is right in the middle...
just kidding *^).

The difference (an advantage) is utilized for example during separation of
light and heavy water.

However, no distinction is made for radiological reasons, i.e., T2O, HTO or
DTO are for the body equivalent (per unit activity).

Regards,
  Miroslav

  Miroslav Lieskovsky                  Health Physics Department
  e-mail bus: mirolies@nbnet.nb.ca            Point Lepreau G.S.
  Phone  bus: (506) 659 6599 ext. 7421       New Brunswick Power
  Fax    bus: (506) 659 2003                       Lepreau, N.B.
  e-mail res: miroslav@mi.net                    Canada, E0G 2H0

  PS. Opinions expressed are mine only and standard disclaimers
      apply...