Re: Americium/Beryllium Source

>Disposal of unwanted neutron sources is a problem for university and
>industry.  The DOE has run a program of Pu-239/Be source recovery for
>several years.  The DOE program is preparing to expand its scope to
>Am-241/Be and Pu-238/Be sources.  For more information contact:

Will the DOE accept sources from other countries (eg Australia)? We have a
10Ci Am241/Be source and a 10Ci Pu238/Be source which we MAY be forced to
dispose of by our regulators due to their age (about 18 years old). We are
also considering re-canning these sources so we MAY be able to keep them but
just in case that is not an option, I would like to investigate disposal.

Of course, if anybody up there in the US would like two neutron sources in
good condition let me know. If we must get rid of them, we would consider
donating them to another institution.

Regards

  Alex Zapantis
  Radiation Safety Officer
  Queensland University of Technology
  Health & Safety Section
  Locked Bag No.2                    Ph     : 61 7 3864 3566
  Red Hill Qld 4059                    fax     : 61 7 3864 3993
  AUSTRALIA                           Email  : a.zapantis@qut.edu.au

       "If I could remember the names of all those particles
        I would have become a botanist."
                                                            Enrico Fermi