Re: IOM Report on the NRC's Medical Byproduct Use Program

At 06:21 PM 3/1/96 -0600, you wrote:
>Has a state ever publicly announced and fined any medical institution or
>practice for overexposing patient or public by misadministration of isotopes?
>
>Regis A. Greenwood, C H P
>ragreen1@aol.com
>          OR
>ragreen1@ix.netcom.com

The only announcement of misadministrations by Agreement States that I have
found that is published and available to the public (other than what ever
public information is contained in the licensee files at the state's office)
comes from what is published by the NRC in NUREG-1272, Vol. 1 - 8, No. 2 ,
(No. 1 deals with commercial reactors) "OFFICE FOR ANALYSIS and EVALUATION
of OPERATIONAL DATA ANNUAL REPORT  on NUCLEAR MATERIALS."  This NUREG lists
all 10 CFR 20, 21, 30, 31, 34, 35, 36, 39, 40, 70, and 71 reportable  events
(which includes misadministrations) that have been reported to the NRC from
NRC licensees and the Agreement State programs.  It also includes a section
on Abnormal Occurrences (which includes most of the misadministrations) with
short write-ups on each event.

Currently, some Agreement States do not have the authority to impose fines
(only to modify or terminate licenses) and  one Agreement State has a law
prohibiting the naming of  medical facilities involved in misadministrations.

David R. Lipp, Principal Engineer
Nuclear Engineering/Nuclear Operations Support Programs
Lockheed Martin Idaho Technologies
Idaho National Engineering Laboratory
Phone:   (208)526-0497
E-mail:  dl1@inel.gov