TIME article on NRC -Reply

Les,

The journalists love to embellish things.  According to Time, overheating of
the spent fuel pool would cause a 'lethal sauna of radioactive steam' and lead
to a release which would render 'hundreds of square miles uninhabitable' (all
of Connecticut!).  I bet that sold a few issues for them.  But once you get
past the yellow pages of journalism there is some good reading about management
failures, both within the utility and in the government.

Our management stinks!   There is an inability of management to respond to
employee concerns and fix problems.  And they compound the problem by heavy
handed dealing with employees.  Millstone has no more problems than many other
operating sites; it's the frustrated workers going to the NRC and to the public
with their grievances which has brought about the present mess.

The NRC has also acknowledged their faults.  The last paragraph is from a
public meeting held near Millstone last week.  They allowed the movement of
fuel, not only at Millstone but at other plants.  So they put Millstone on the
watch list.  On what list can we put the NRC?  Of course there have been other
problems at Millstone besides the fuel pool fiasco.  But there was no reason to
put Unit Three on the list.

The Time article also points out a federal government management failure with
the high-level waste program. There would be no spent fuel pool concerns if the
government was taking spent fuel as promised.  We are becoming the defacto
high-level waste sites.