Northeast Utilities and the NRC - article and "opinion"

     The following is an article that addresses the NRC's enhanced interest
     in the issues raised by the recent Time, Inc. article. The issues
     raised by the two engineers should have been resolved within a short
     time from the time they were raised. While it is true that engineers
     and other scientists might disagree with mathematical models and
     calculations, the issues raised deserved to be evaluated, and every
     thread pulled until there was conclusive evidence that there was no
     safety issue with the way the utility conducted its fuel offloads. But
     the utility acted in the opposite way, and we all have read what has
     happened. Now the NRC is going to do a 180 degree turnaround, which
     will only mean additional scrutiny by their inspectors, moreso than is
     necessary to carry out their mandate to evaluate whether or not there
     are safety issues with those licensees that they regulate. The NRC is
     a component of this fiasco, for if this enhanced investigation
     uncovers serious flaws, they too are part of it, for their entire
     inspection program will in the end, be condemned for either turning
     the other way, or, for not having competent inspectors in the field.
     This issue is another sad commentary on our nuclear program, from the
     management to the regulators.

     Sandy Perle
     Supervisor Health Physics
     Florida Power and Light Company
     Nuclear Division

     (407) 694-4219 Office
     (407) 694-3706 Fax

     sandy_perle@email.fpl.com

     HomePage: http://www.lookup.com/homepages/54398/home.html

     [[[ Disclaimer .. the comments are mine alone ]]]]
     -------------------------------

                The Nuclear Regulatory Commission, under
     criticism for how it enforces safety rules at nuclear reactors,
     says it is conducting an intensive investigation into alleged
     violations at a Connecticut utility.
        The investigation of Northeast Utilities Service Co. involves
     three reactors at the Millstone nuclear power plant near Waterford,
     Conn., and the Haddam Neck reactor near Middletown, Conn.,
     according to NRC officials.
        The Millstone Unit 1 reactor has been on an NRC close-watch list
     since January. Six weeks ago, Northeast Utilities reorganized its
     nuclear management team and replaced its top executive in charge of
     its nuclear power program.
        The problems at the Millstone reactors are surfacing as the NRC
     faces criticism from nuclear watchdog groups and industry
     whistleblowers that the agency is not aggressive enough in
     uncovering safety violations at the country's 109 nuclear reactors.
        The plight of two whistleblowers who were stymied in their
     attempts to expose safety infractions at the Millstone reactor were
     highlighted in a recent Time magazine cover story.
        NRC Chairwoman Shirley Ann Jackson said Friday the agency has
     evidence that at least two of the Millstone reactors -- Units I and
     II -- have operated contrary to procedures outlined in the utility's
     operating license.
        She said an internal utility study also indicates that the
     problem may be more widespread and involve a third Millstone
     reactor as well as the Haddam Neck reactor.
        Ted Feigenbaum, executive vice president and chief nuclear
     officer for Northeast Utilities, acknowledged ``some problems with
     our license documentation'' and said the utility is cooperating
     with the NRC. He said the company has been reviewing its operating
     practices.
        ``We're doing a lot of self-assessments and evaluation,''
     Feigenbaum said in a telephone interview.
        Millstone Units I and II recently were shut down -- one for
     refueling and the other because of a reason unrelated to the NRC
     investigation. The reactors will not be restarted until the agency
     review has been completed, officials said.
        William Russell, the NRC's director of nuclear regulation, said
     the agency directed Northeast Utilities to provide additional
     documents regarding the operation of all four reactors.
        Russell said the agency has evidence that there have been
     ``serious shortcomings'' in the way the Millstone Units I and II
     reactors have been operated, including violations of safety
     procedures outlined in the plant's operating license.
        The problems at Unit I have involved a failure to follow proper
     procedures in transferring used fuel from the reactor to storage,
     Russell said. But he added that the latest findings involved safety
     systems ``that are more significant'' than the fuel storage.
        He said there also is ``potential wrongdoing'' by utility
     managers, declining to elaborate.
        Russell said 18 to 20 NRC inspectors are involved in the special
     investigation, which is expected to take two to three weeks.
        The NRC also has demanded that the utility provide additional
     documents and information ``to assure future operation (of the
     reactors) will be conducted in compliance with (their) operating
     license.''
        The three Millstone reactors have been beset in recent years by
     mechanical and personnel problems. The utility's managers also have
     had to deal with pressure to cut costs as the electric utility
     industry becomes more competitive.
        Ms. Jackson acknowledged that one of the NRC's challenges will
     be to closely monitor what impact competition in the utility
     industry will have on nuclear power plant operations and safety.