Re: Disposal of old Torr X-ray system, PCB's??

Hi RADSAFERS:

Gene Forrer wrote:

>      According to the head of our state x-ray regulatory body, x-ray
>      transformers and tubes do not contain PCB's.  This is based on his
>      contacting x-ray manufacturers for information on what type of oil.
>      He found out that they use a high grade mineral oil but no PCB's.  I
>      assume they are not necessary since the units are only used in short
>      bursts and cooling is not a problem.

Yes and No!

X-Ray units, manufactured in or imported to the United States after
the PCB ban (Ban Rule - Fed. Reg. vol. 44 # 106, Thursday, May 31,
1979) by the EPA in May 31, 1979, do not contain PCBs in the tube oil.

Before that date you should contact the specific equipment
manufacturer to determine the specific content of tube oil.  It is a
fact that older units did contain PCBs in the tube oil.  If a machine
manufactured before the 1979 date is to be disposed of or a
manufacturer has gone out of business it is prudent to have the oil
tested in a certified lab prior to disposal.

By the way, cooling of the x-ray tube continues to be a problem for X-
Ray tubes since approximately 95% of the energy used to produece the
X-Ray is given up as heat from the tubes anode.  So tube cooling and
heat dissapation continue to be a factor in use of x-rays.

James H. Ogden, Jr., Deputy Director
X-Ray and Non-ionizing Enforcement
  and Inspection
INTERNET Address (jogden@brc1.tdh.state.tx.us)