Re: Management of highly radioactive human cadavers

On Tue, 12 Mar 1996, Bob Loesch wrote:

> I can't speak for the NRC, but my "opinion" as an ex-NRCer is as follows:
>
> 10CFR35.75 allows for the release of a patient when the dose rate at one
> meter is less than 5 mrem/hr and the activity in the patient is less than
> 30mCi.
> However, my  belief is that a deceased individual ceases to be a patient and
> now is considered either a container or just plain waste material.

Having dealt with this, the NRC Region I, and later Headquarters agree
that a deceased individual is not a patient, therefore there are specific
methods to dispose of the radioactive material e.g., sewer disposal (not
an option with a cadaver unless one is really morbid) or decay in
storage, and there are specific ways to transfer licensed material.

> 10 CFR35.92 allows for the disposal of byproduct material in ordinary trash if
> the material is "decayed in storage" and the half-lives are less than 65 days
> and the decay time is > 10 half-lives.
>
> Since the original thread involved a patient having a stroke after I-131
> therapy,
> I'd probably suggest decay in "cold" storage for 3 months and then handle as
> any other normal cadaver.   Autopsy prior to this time should be handled the
> same as one would working on a highly contaminated injured individual with all
> waste generated also being held for decay.

There are laws against this unless one has the consent of the family.
Certain religions require the burial of the deceased within specific time
periods much less than 90 days.  Having the family delay its grieving
period by three months is extremely callous.  If the isotope were longer
lived, say Sr-89, would you hold the body for 500 days?  Decay in storage
of a cadaver is NOT an option.  I have more strongly worded comments, but
I will keep them to myself.

The material must be transferred.  It may be transferred to a
non-licensee with advanced written approval by the NRC.  See
10CFR30.41(b)(7).

Note that the same problem can occur with permanent implants when the
physician refuses to order excision or the family refuses to provide
consent.