Re: Static discharge

"Dealing with Static", is a little manual from GE that arrive in our
department with one of our gamma cameras. It has the following table:

					Most		Highest
					Common		Reading
					Reading
Charge accumulated on a person
walking across a carpet			12,000 volts	39,000 volts

Charge accumulated on a person
walking across vinyl tile floor		4,000 volts	13,000 volts

Hope this is of help!

 On Mon, 11 Mar 1996, Gary Masters
wrote:

> Date: Mon, 11 Mar 96 17:14:36 -0600
> From: Gary Masters <gmasters@csn.net>
> To: Multiple recipients of list <radsafe@romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu>
> Subject: Static discharge
>
> Does anyone have the foggiest idea how great a static charge can be
> developed by a person?
>
> I ask this because we had an individual discharge his static to a PCM-2
> and render it nonfunctional (he fried a board in it).  Our Radiation
> Protection Manager wants to know this before he will allow us to place the
> PCM-2s back in service.
>
> Thanks.
>

>   *********************************************************************
>   * Gary Masters                                 Phone (303) 966-3266 *
>   * Radiological Engineering                       Fax (303) 966-8459 *
>   * Rocky Flats Environmental Technology Site                         *
>   * PO Box 464   Building T690A               e-mail gmasters@csn.net *
>   * Golden, Colorado 80402-0464                                       *

David W. Palmer
If you keep your head
 when all about you are losing theirs,
it's possible you haven't grasped the situation!!

Phone: (414) 259 3753
FAX :  (414) 259 7889
Email dpalmer@its.post.mcw.edu