Re: delay tanks for I-131 sewerage

> Datum verzending: Thu, 21 Mar 1996 07:30:43 +0100
> Stuur antw. aan:  radsafe@romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu
> Van:              jtowson@nucmed.rpa.cs.nsw.gov.au (Jocelyn Towson)
> Aan:              Multiple recipients of list <radsafe@romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu>
> Onderwerp:        delay tanks for I-131 sewerage

> I should be very grateful for information from radsafers in any countries
> which require the excreta from I-131 therapy in-patients to be stored for
> decay before discharge.  ie. pointers to regulatory requirements/
> guidelines/ codes of practice, and especially specifications or
> construction standards for delay tanks. Thanks in advance,
>
> Jocelyn Towson
> Radiation Safety Officer
> Royal Prince Alfred Hospital
> Sydney, Australia
>
> jtowson@nucmed.rpa.cs.nsw.gov.au

Hi Jocelyn,

In the Netherlands, all radioactive excreta from I-131 patients need
to be stored in storage tanks, i.e. all toilets connected to an
internal system ( in some cases the showers as well).

the legal limit for release into the normal sewer is:
    18MBq / volume/30 days

The release of patients is based on a radiation dose of 22
uSv/hr/meter ( i.e. approx 400 MBq fixed in the thyroid).

regards,

Mike Pillay