NRC Daily Reports

For those of you who are interested and don't know that it exists,
there is a daily listserver about the NRC, including NRC Daily Reports,
all NRC documents, events, etc. Information is included below.

Stephen G. Frantz                        email: sfrantz@reed.edu
Director, Reed College Reactor           http://www.reed.edu/~sfrantz

                 Free Information on Demand
                 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
           (c) 1996  The Readiness Operation, Inc.

                            by

                         Paul Smith
                         President
                 The Readiness Operation, Inc.
                      3871 Piedmont Ave
                   Oakland, CA  94611-5351
                    Voice: (510) 547-0594
                    Fax:   (510) 547-0920
                    Modem: (510) 547-0598
                 Email: paul.smith@trobb.com
            World Wide Web - http://www.trobb.com

                       March 16, 1996

Introduction

     This is the Information Age, and Nuclear Power's
safety and technology needs means it has special need for
timely and accurate information.  On the other hand, today's
technologies make it easy to get swamped by information,
making it harder for you to wade through it and
find the information you need.
     The Readiness Operation provides free services to help,
in a small way, address this issue.  We specialize in
providing information from the US Nuclear Regulatory
Commission.  All information we provide is available online
from the NRC.  However, we provide three key enhancements to
NRC's information: (1) timely delivery of summary information
directly to you each day, (2) services to reduce the
unproductive time you spend on it, (3) simplified electronic
delivery of documents, and (3) fast full text search of
documents to help you find just the information you need.

Mailing List

     The Readiness Operation operates an Internet email list
of contacts in the nuclear industry around the world (over
1,000 at this writing).  We send two emails each work day to
those on the list.  We aim to provide subscribers with enough
information, but not more information than they need.
     We call the first email the TRO Daily Report(sm).  It's
an electronic newsletter (or "zine") that provides you the
topics (but not the text) of NRC's Daily Report.  It also
provides you the topics (but not the text) of recent NRC
documents such as Press Releases; Preliminary Notifications;
SECY papers; Commission, ACRS, and ACNW Transcripts;
Information Notices, Weekly Information Reports, Enforcement
Actions, SALP Reports, and so forth.  We don't have
everything in digital form, but we have a lot.  Most
important we have all the key recent releases.
     We call the second email the TRO DER Index(sm).  It
provides you the subject (but not the text) of the event
reports NRC released that day.
     As another public service, each day we also contribute the
TRO DER Index to the NUC-OPS list run by Pacific Gas & Electric.
     Send an email to paul.smith@trobb.com if you would like
to try out our free email services.
     Don't worry!  Your address is safe.  TRO's policy is not to
sell or loan its email lists to ANYONE.  It's also easy to get
your address off our list.

Document Full Text Retrieval

     Each TRO Daily Report(sm) and TRO DER Index(sm) tells
recipients how to retrieve the full text (in electronic form) of
documents described therein, including NRC's Daily Report, NRC's
Event Reports, and NRC's Plant Status Report (NRC releases these
three reports each work day) as well as the other NRC documents
described above.
     Many users have access to email only, so we provide a
service for them to automatically retrieve documents simply
by sending an Internet email to our server.  Our email
server is working well now, and your document will typically
be on its way to you within five minutes of receiving your
email request.  You can obtain documents this way 24 hours a
day, every day of the year.  This illustrates the power of
the Internet to eliminate the need for multiple libraries at
each nuclear plant site.  Naturally, this can lead to cost
savings and increase efficiency of document retrieval.
     In addition, NRC releases some documents in WordPerfect
format.  We reformat these in plain text form so users don't
have to bother decoding them at their end of the Internet.
     We use "Mailbots" for many documents to simplify your
retrieval of them by email.  Rather than having to
remember complex file names, such as IN96001.TXT for
example, you can simply send any email to JAN5-2@trobb.com
(for example) to retrieve document number 2 in the January
5, 1996 TRO Daily Report (sm).  (Try it out.  Send any email to
mailbot@trobb.com.)
     Other users have access to Internet ftp.  They can
simply log onto our ftp server at ftp.trobb.com and
"download" documents of interest to them.  This service also
operates 24 hours a day, every day of the year.
     Still other users have access to the World Wide Web.
We're still building our Web site - try http://www.trobb.com.
We've made innovative Conferencing available to the public on
our web site.

Full Text Search of Documents

     You can logon our electronic bulletin board and perform
full text searches of all the NRC documents we have
(currently over 6,500 documents).  ALL Licensee Event
Reports are available (from number 1 in 1985 to present), ALL
Information Notices and Bulletins, ALL Generic Letters, and
an extensive collection of many other classes of documents.
     Once you find what you want, you can download it.
Using modern communication programs like ProComm 2.11 for
Windows, you can even download over the Internet using
Zmodem (after you telnet to our server to save long distance
or even international telephone charges).
     Logon our BBS by modem at (510) 547-0598 or by telnet
to trobb.com.  Registration is simple and free.

Other Email Lists

     The Readiness Operation also supports email lists other
than our own.  For example, we support communication between
plant system engineers in a special email list.  This came
about because of a request by a utility engineer.
     If you can receive Internet email, and are at a plant,
you can be put on this list.  Email paul.smith@trobb.com or
call (510) 547-0594.
     We have also run lists on the ASME Code, NRC's
Individual Plant Evaluation program (Generic Letter 88-20),
and helped others start lists on Probabilistic Risk
Assessment and Radiation Protection.
     We are interested in discussing any email list server
needs you have.