RE: Measuring Fe-55 & Pm-147 HOW?

Since I'm reading the daily digest version when everybody else is probably at a
TGIF Happy Hour, maybe everyone lost interest in this thread already, but....

Regarding question from rnross@bcsc02.gov.bc.ca on measuring Fe-55,
I think Mr. Ross will find that an X-ray proportional counter with beryllium
window and filled with argon gas would be relatively inexpensive detector for
low energy x-ray sources (And no, I don't know what they cost now). We used to
use such detectors manufactured by Reuter-Stokes for X-Ray flourescence
analysis. Typical energy resolution (if you want to do spectometric study) was
about 12% at 14.4 keV. The bigger problem might be finding a NIST traceable
source to calibrate the detector with.

Good luck!
Tosh Ushino
ushinot@songs.sce.com