Re: radon measurements in soils

 We have used some methods for determining radon emissions from soils on site
 but have found no good way to link the soil emissions over a short period of
 time to the radon concentration in a structure built on the site.  There are
 too many variables each with a wide margin of error, to make the correlation.
 If measurement of the soil emissions is needed, electrets can be placed in a
 covered hole for a period of time.  charcoal cannisters are affected by
 humidity and wind currents.  Therre are some corrections that can be made
 for the humidity. If radon is so much of an issue in the area, build the
 houses on stilts and don't skirt the crawl space.

Luke McCormick c0etxlim@mrd42.mrd.usace.army.mil