Re: Chernobyl Health Study Findings

> Scientists: Chernobyl Not the Health Hazard Many Think
>
>   The scientists, presenting the results of a four-year study on the
> consequences of the 1986 disaster, said the accident did not cause an increase
> in leukemia or other diseases often blamed on it.
>
>   The study also refuted claims of widespread fatalities as a result of the
> explosion. The Ukrainian Health Ministry has said that 125,000 people had died
> in Ukraine alone, while the scientists at Friday's conference maintain that only
> 45 deaths are attributable to the accident.

Well, I'm confused.  I had been thinking about mentioning the article
I saw in the newspaper the other day about all the cancer deaths
related to Chernobyl.  Funny how that "statement of fact" appeared in
the newspaper, yet this little study didn't seem to get mentioned.
    I've seen a lot of postings about an "all-radiation-is deadly"
bias in the media; maybe there is something to that.  Comments?

David F. Gilmore,
Assistant Professor of          0  0
Environmental Biology            __    "have a day"
Arkansas State University