Tritium in Signs

Some unidentified person  wrote on RADSAFE on 3/27/96 a message on the
subject: "H-3 Exit Signs."  I quote from the message as follows:
"Admittedly, the broken sign in the university library isn't likely to
result in uptakes like these (3 mSv), but finite risk is nonetheless
associated with these types of devices.  The decision of whether or not to
install tritium-powered exit signs should be taken only after weighing this
risk against the benefit ... ."
 (OPINION)  (Before I go on, I do not intend this to be an ad hominem attack
on the person who penned those words.  I only intend to use the words as
another example of how we "do it to ourselves.")
I scream.  I shudder.  I cry.  I am appalled. Yet another example of  an
apparent factual statement that "finite risk is nonetheless associated with
these types of devices" that could be interpreted as saying: "yes, there is
a real, known risk," when we don't know that there is any risk at all at 3 mSv.
If the word "associated" is intended to convey great uncertainty about the
risk and that there may be no risk at all, I don't believe a member of the
public would look at it that way.  (OPINION)
I trust that the words were meant to convey the idea that 3 mSv is
hypothesized by some to carry a risk, but the hypothesis has never been
demonstrated at low doses, therefore, there may be no risk at all at such
doses.  If so, the word "associated" doesn't do it for me.  (OPINION)
I believe that those of us on RADSAFE, of all groups of people, should not
continue to speak of, or even imply, risks of low level radiation as if we
know that there are any.  Even if we want to use jargon or shorthand,
sometimes our messages get out to the public, and our shorthand is
misunderstood. I hope all of us (who have the point of view that we don't
know the risks of low level radiation and, therefore, should not even imply
that we do, let alone state a risk as though it were fact) will continue to
be careful about the words we use vis-a-vis effects vs low doses of
radiation so that we don't give even the impression, let alone state as
fact,  that we know there are risks when we don't. (HOPE)
My apologies to the person who wrote the words if anything I have said
causes discomfort.  I am only concerned with the words, not the one who
wrote them.  Any comments?  Al Tschaeche xat@inel.gov