answers on outsourcing

Thanks to all who responded to my inquiry on outsourcing.

I received responses from 8 academic institutions, ranging in size from
13 to 1600 users, with HP staffs ranging from 1 to 11.  Activities
outsourced included dosimetry, instrument calibration, annual audits,
and fume hood checks.  One RSO mentioned that they had stopped
outsourcing radioactive waste handling.

The responses broke into two groups, with 4 small institutions of 160
users or less, and 4 large institutions of 600 to 1600 users.  The
average user to HP staff ratio was about 30/1 for the small
institutions, and 140/1 for the large institutions.  The staff at the
smaller
institutions tended to have other responsibilities besides Health
Physics.

Thanks again for the very useful information.

Regards,

John

John Zummo, RSO
Genentech, Inc.