Re: Controlled Areas

The difference between the areas is best understood by keeping one main fact
in mind, the definitions deal only with radiation protection and have nothing
to do with security, traffic control or any thing else.

Second, picture the   restricted area    as the area where strict radiation
safety controls apply.(example RWP needed, or dosimetry needed etc.)
Surrounding this area may
repeat may be a   controlled area   under the conrol of the licensee ( NRC
speak here). Surrounding this is the unrestricted area, not under the control
of the licensee, a public road, beach or whatever.

The restricted area and the controlled area may be the same physical area.
The boundary of the unrestricted area is the important one as all the
effluent regulations apply at that magic line.

If this helps, I take full credit; if it confuses you further, I must have
hit send instead of delete.

Regis A. Greenwood, C H P
ragreen1@aol.com
         OR