files available

The following files are available for anonymous ftp from
romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu:

April 1996 HPS Newsletter short course announcements:

/pub/radiation/files/courses/apr96ed.txt (ascii)
/pub/radiation/files/courses/apr96ed.zip (zipped)

There were no job advertisements in the April HPS newsletter.

Editorial comment:  Does anyone else find this disturbing?  When I was
"casting about" for a job less than two years ago, there seemed to be plenty
of openings for HPs.  (Well, there were in comparison to the number of
available non-molecular biology related radiation research postdoctoral
positions at the time, anyway. :-) )

So, to "stir the pot" --

1. Is the current perceived shortage of available positions the result of
cutbacks in the government (most notably DOE), or has the demand for HPs
reached a plateau?  If so, will it remain there?

2. If the demand for HPs has reached a plateau, and I'm not necessarily
saying it has, are we doing those currently in college a disservice by
encouraging them to enter health physics?  It's one thing to encourage
someone who won't be expected to enter the work force for some time; it's
another thing to encourage people who are just about to enter the work force
into a flat market.

3. Hm... I think I'll save my comments about HPs doing nothing but
administrative work for another day. :-)

--
 Melissa Woo, Health Physicist                       | m-woo@uiuc.edu
 University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign          | office 1.217.244.7233