Re: Reply to re:Multi-clinic Monitoring

On Thu, 4 Apr 1996 VERNIG.PETER@FORUM.VA.GOV wrote:

> I think the original question regarded radiologists.  As Wes Dunn
> pointed out most agreement states have adopted their version of the new
> part 20 and the practice is close to universal in state regs of treat-
> ing radiation from all sources the same.  However in nonagreement states
> and federal facilities, NRC has no authority over strictly machine produce
> exposure.  That means the regulation defaults to OSHA under 29 CFR 1910.96
> which in turn was cribbed from 70s vintage NRC regulations.

I does not matter if the state is an agreement state or non-agreement
state unless the individual is exposed radiation from NRC regulated
materials in addition to machine sources.  The state radiation control
agency has jurisdiction over the use of x-ray producing machines.

Wes Dunn's answer is correct.

Now for a twist.  If the radiologist receives 4000 mrem at hospital A
between 1/1 and 11/30; 1000 mrem at hospital 2 between 12/1 and 12/31;
and 10 mrem at Hospital III between 12/1 and 12/31; who has overexposed
the worker?

Kent Lambert
LAMBERT@hal.hahnemann.edu

These are my thoughts.  If they are wrong
I accidentally pressed the send instead of
the delete key.  My employer makes no claim
to endorse my opinions.