Re: Staffing Downsizing and Off-site Emergencies

     Regis's points are well taken. The only factor that needs to be
     evaluated has to do with the size of the organizations in question. IF
     every utility has a staff of approx. 70 in the site health physics
     staff, and, approx. 10 in the emergency planning dept, one can handle
     the staffing requirements of the emergency facilities. We too have
     manned positions, and used to have backup qualified people. The
     problem is, they don't exist anymore. And, the health physics staffs
     and emergency planning staffs at our two nuclear sites are a little
     more than half of what Regis quoted for his facility. Regis, sounds
     like an area for downsizing ;)

     Seriously, the staffing requirements are important. If you don't have
     qualified and trained personnel, with appropriate backup, how can an
     organization adequately mitigate the consequences of an event? We are
     too used to dealing with the "normal" daily routine. That is far from
     the norm when the "shit" hits the fan. Will utilities that have been
     downsized to the point where daily activities are difficult to perform
     be able to handle an emergency situation? Hopefully we won't have to
     face that question.

     Oh, as far as drills. I agree totally. A lot of resources, a lot of
     money. But how will we react when it's not a planned drill? .. when
     some of our staff is unavailable?  Will we be able to react as well? I
     don't think so, for off-hours unannounced drills usually are a horror.
     I for one believe they are the drills we should have, and learn from
     them. Not the pre-staged show we put on every year, with the practices
     that we hold prior to the evaluated drill. NOW thrown in the smaller
     staffs and hold that unannounced drill.

     Sandy Perle
     Supervisor Health Physics
     Florida Power and Light Company