off-site emergency drills

>Regis A. Greenwood, C H P
>ragreen1@ix.netcom.com
said
>The really sad thing about these drills, aside from using up a tremendous
>amount of person days of time, is that they are self defeating. In order to
>excercise the off-site agencies, all drills have to give the off-site
>agencies something to do. This means somehow getting a plume off-site;
>therefore all drills wind up as practice for total disaster

 How true! I recently participated in a practice and drill at the Beaver
Valley PS in PA. It was clear very quickly that the drill was building
towards a release. In our case it also had to involve an east wind so that
WV and Ohio people would have something to do.

The drill (or at least the practise) really was worthwhile for me.  I now
know where to go and what to do if the need should ever arise and I learned
a lot about the power plant and its safety preparation.

BTW does anyone form the BVPS monitor this list? I would be glad to get
acquainted.

Ken Douglass
Interim RSO
West Virginia University Hospitals