Re: Personal Air Samplers

Dear Bates,

Regarding personal air samplers:

> 1.  Is this a credible/sound approach?

Yes.  The "powers that be" have always promoted lapel sampling as the only
"legitimate" breathing zone air sample.  Because Pu is such a pain for routine
bioassay schedules, a BZA triggered approach is probably the safest way to go.
I wouldn't drop routinely scheduled bioassays completely, however.

> 2. Are PASs an annoyance to workers while they wear them?

Depends.  The early versions were bulky and awkward to use.  I've noticed in
the catalogs that they are becoming lighter and a bit less cumbersome.

But the annoyance isn't just the wearing of the PAS.  You will still have the
delay and hassle of making the worker check one out, get it mounted on his
body, get the suction filter placed in a BZA location on the body, get it
turned on, get it back to the count room for counting---and doing all of this
in such a way that he doesn't plant a contaminated thumb right in the middle of
the air sample filter which invalidates the whole thing, WHEN you can prove
that it was his thumb and not an actual exposure.

Also, you'll have to deal with:

    1)  Battery charging and "memory" effects when the sampler isn't completely
run down.  Do you completely drain each sampler every day (time consuming), do
you just issue it without a full recharge (so it runs down in the middle of a
job), or do you recharge it every day (so the battery "memory" effects ruins
the batteries in a few weeks)?

2)  How long will you need the sample to run to get the needed MDA on your
count (it is significantly longer using a PAS due to the lower flow rate when
compared to a normal air sampler flow rate).  What do you do with the sample
when the individual doesn't get enough flow through the filter?

Generally I have always preferred using a "regular" air sampler with a sample
head positioned in the BZ of the worker.  I generally have found that the
portables look good on paper, but are generally more trouble than they are
worth in the field.

Jim Barnes, CHP
RSO
Rocketdyne Division; Rockwell Aerospace