Liability Limits for Hazardous Waste Brokers

Greetings,
I am working on a Request for Proposal [which becomes part of the
contract when a Proposal based on it is accepted] for Radioactive
waste brokerage and shipping services.  I started with somebody else's
contract as a model.  A lawyer reviewing it has asked where the limits
of $1,000,000/$5,000,000 came from, if they are statutory and if so what
statute or regulation.  Does anybody out there know?  an answere that
applies to generic "hazardous cargo" or "hazardous waste" would be
as good as one specific to radioactive waste and one for any specific
kind of "hazardous waste" would also be of interest.  I have looked in
title 40, EPA regulations and title 49, DOT regs.  I'm pretty sure it
isn't in title 10, NRC.  Anybody out there know of any statutory or
regulatory requirements?

Thanks in advance.
Peter G. Vernig, VA Medical Center, vernig.peter@forum.va.gov