Re: Status of ANSI N13.27 and NUREG/CR-6354???

     >What is the current status of ANSI N13.27-1993 (Perf reqs for
     pocket-sized alarm dosimeters and alard ratemeters) and NUREG/CR-6354
     (Perf test of EPDs). <

     NEI, Nuclear Energy Institute has recommended to the NRC that the
     draft NUREG not be issued in a Final form due to it's content being
     old data and not supported by the current technology. The NUREG was
     intended to be a performance based document, but all it did was
     summarize past performance of older version dosimeters. It is
     therefore expected to die a slow death, as well it should. For
     performance and type testing, see ANSI N42.20, which addresses
     alarming electronic dosimeters.

     As far as ANSI N13.27, the actual performance standard for electronic
     dosimeters, similar to ANSI N13.11 for other type dosimeters, that is
     a good question. I have been told that the standard has been pulled,
     since N42.20 was issued. That would be a mistake, my opinion. N42.20
     is more appropriate a type testing document, to be used by the
     manufacturer, not the end user. N13.27 is the performance and criteria
     based document, to be used by the end user. To not publish it is a
     mistake, unless, N13.11 is modified to include ALL dosimeters for
     testing and accreditation. THAT is the way it should be. Set a
     standard and if you want to use a dosimeter, have it meet N13.11.
     Testing protocols can be modified to suit the dosimeter, i.e., TLD
     versus EPD, as in irradiation and reading, etc. However, the criteria
     for accuracy and precision should be ONE and the SAME.

     As always, the comments are my opinion, and mine alone.

     Sandy Perle
     Supervisor Health Physics
     Florida Power and Light Company
     Nuclear Division