newspaper

Radsafers,
    Time for another edition of Radiation in the News.  The sunday
paper had two articles.  The first was a look at Chernobyl.  It
didn't say a whole lot, just painted a generally dark and frightening
picture.  It mentioned some older people who had moved back because
they figured they'd die of old age before radiation effects got to
them.  The article also mentioned that while the Russian/Ukrainian
governments predicted thousands of cancer deaths, many scientists say
that those numbers are wildly overestimated in an attempt to get
Western aid.
    The Second article was on the proposed low level radioactivity
waste disposal site proposed in California by US Ecology.  The
article pilloried US Ecology, listing all kinds of leaky sites,
fines, mismanagement, etc.  The only people stated as supporting the
site were Gov. Wilson and other industry/gov types (you know, the
kind people intrinsically don't trust).  The article frequently
compared the scene to some really messy waste disposal that took
plave many years ago in the same area; I'm sure some of you would be
familiar with that story.  One thing that got to me was that (not an
exact quote) "people were so badly contaminated with plutonium that
whole body scans were required".  Duh.  Don't we require bioassays if
we're just _worried_ about exposure?  I don't think the press has a
clue about how rad safety works.  No where in the article was there
any reference to WHY a LLR disposal site is needed.  Is this site
just for LLR waste from nuclear power, or is this use also for such
things as hospital waste to keep all those paranoid Californians
healthy?
dgilmore@navajo.astate.edu
David F. Gilmore,
Assistant Professor of          0  0
Environmental Biology            __    "have a day"
Arkansas State University