Not getting what you paid for...

     Group,

     I  have  a  friend (not at my facility) who has  received  a
number  of  vials  of S-35 from a vender (unnamed  for  now)  and
believes  that  he is being "short changed" in the amount  he  is
receiving.

     Would  someone be so kind as to check my "math" as I believe
that he is correct:

     I  was preparing some "quench samples", at his facility, for
a  Liquid  Scintillation Counter (LSC).  I  wanted  approximately
100,000 DPM/vial.

     After some experimentation I ended up with the following:

     To obtain 100,000 DPM per vial, I diluted my stock vial with
HOH  by  1000 to 1 and then aliquoted 15 micro liters  into  each
vial.  The stock vial holds 172 micro liters.

     Therefore:

     100,000  DPM/15  micro  microliters  (each  vial)  =  6666.6
DPM/micro-liter  x 1000/1 (my initial dilution) x 172 microliters
(in  the stock vial) = 1,146,667,000 DPM/2.22E6 DPM/microcurie  =
516.5 microcuries or .5 millicuries.

     The   researchers   is  "supposed"  to  be   receiving   "5"
millicuries per stock vial.

     Note: Please excuse my "old" Curie designation, but it would
take too much time to translate everything into Becquerels.

***   Well,  what do you (all) think?  Has "oldtimers" mushed  up
my brain or is something not quite "kosher".

     Please  reply  to  me as I don't want to tie  up  RADSAFE  -
unless you think that everyone needs to see this.

     Thank you all (ahead of time),

     Joel Baumbaugh  (baumbaug@nosc.mil)
     NRaD

     Std  Disclaimer:   The  above  message  is  from  me  alone.
Neither  my  boss, his boss', the Navy or the Federal Govt.  have
read   or   necessarily  agree  with  the  above  statements   or
conclusions.