Re: LSC Standards

John Harvey/Radsafe at large,

I strongly suggest that you prepare the solutions yourself.  I have
found significant differences in the calibrations obtained with the
commercial sets and mine.  The reasons for the differences include:
different volume of fluid, lack of water  (or other solvents in the
solution), different LSC fluid (especially the non-tolulene based
fluids), different vials, etc.

Eliminate these uncertainties-make your own standards.  Since I enjoy
the services of a master glassblower, I prepared a sealed version of my
standards.  I used NIST standards (tritiated water and C-14 labeled
hexadecane).  The standards were filled with an argon atmosphere to
minimize chemical reactions.  These standards compared well in blind
testing.  These standards have also stored well and thereby saved me
some lab prep time.

-Alan Jackson alanjack@umich.edu
University of Michigan-Radiation Safety