Subject: other regulatory agencies
Author:  radsafe@romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu at Internet
Date:    4/18/96 12:28 PM

When I was an NRC inspector, I ran into this issue on a number of occasions.
There about 4 avenues that NRC uses to get the information, and I've seen
those cited.  I wanted to talk about the "other regulatory agencies" issue.

EPA has similar regulations regarding credit for self-identification.  I
can't cite them right now, but I've read them and if you look through the
last several issues of the journal "Environmental Protection," you'll find a
good discussion of the issue.  The problem is twofold - first is that it
isn't implemented the same way as NRC, and the second is that NRC exercises
far more discretion as to classification and severity of violations (see 10
CFR 2).

Another issue I wanted to address is the "self-incrimination" thing.  I took
a graduate course in  environmental law.  The crux of the matter is that the
self-incrimination clause in the Constitution does not apply to civil
matters, only criminal matters.  That's been resolved, and if EPA or NRC
proposes to fine you, you'll see it says "Civil Penalty."  There are no
cases pending - it's already gone to the Supreme Court.  What is working
its' way through appeals, and will likely reach the Supreme Court is the
issue of assigning criminal liability for willful violations of the
regulations.

The problem is that government agencies (more than one agency, but EPA
especially) enforce regulations against corporations.  The prosecute the
corporations in criminal court.  Corporations do not have 5th amendment
protection.  The agencies argue that as a corporation, corporate officers do
not have 5th amendment protection.  However, since you can't sentence the
corporation to jail, you send the corporate officers to jail -- without the
right to be silent.  What makes this even worse is that since it's a
corporation, the burden of proof is not "beyond reasonable doubt," because
they're "corporate officers," not persons.  The burden is only
"preponderance of evidence," or >50-50 chance that it really happened.  This
travesty has actually been invoked for people accused of hazardous waste
dumping, and that's how the government is using the RICO laws in this and a
number of other very public areas (see, I almost strayed off-topic, but I
stopped myself).

While the above is my opinion, I would be happy to look up the references
should anyone wish to challenge my assertions.  No flames, please - only
serious objections.

Now I'll climb back off my soapbox.

V/R
George R. Cicotte
gcicotte@cbvcp.com

At some point this came from Jim Barnes:
>{
>{I'm interested in hearing from any one on OFFICIAL company positions
>{regarding:
>{
>{ Can a NRC or an Agreement State Inspector DEMAND to see your internal
>{ Radiation Safety AUDITS conducted by your Company Staff ?
>{
>
>Date: Wed, 17 Apr 96 18:51:45 GMT
>From: "James G. Barnes" <mail15077@pop.net>
>Subject: Re: Review of Internal Company(Licensee)Audits by A Regulatory
>
>Ms. Hamrick's reply reflects my understanding of the regulations.  It
should be
>noted, however, that NRC and Agreement State regulations are supportive of
>"self-identified" violations, so one is encouraged to root out any
programmatic
>faults, note them in an audit process, and address them in a timely manner.
By