Hazards Associated with Cl-36 & Cd-109

{Original Msg: 'Hazards associated with Cl-36 & Cd-109' from <radsafe@romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu>
{
{>From: "Stuhl, Larry" <stuhll@abqpost.rfweston.com>
{>To: Sherry Jones at LANL <swjones@Lanl.GOV>
{>Subject: Hazards associated with Cl-36 & Cd-109
{>Date: Thu, 18 Apr 96 19:18:00 PDT
{>Encoding: 4 TEXT
{
{Can anyone on radsafe help Larry answer these questions?  Please answer him
{direct, he is not on radsafe.     stuhll@abqpost.rfweston.com
{
{
{Sherry
{I'm attempting to determine if there are any unique physical, chemical, or
{radiological
{handling, storage, or disposal problems associated with Cl-36 and Cd-109.
{If you find any information, let me know.
{
{Larry
{stuhll@abqpost.rfweston.com
{
{>
{>
{
{

Larry,
Cd-109 is used for x-ray fluorescence excitation in sealed source
form.  The only issue I ever encountered was impurities confounding
it's use in elemental quantitation.  But I have never been where it
is used in unsealed form.  I know cadmium is a problem in solders
where it may be a health problem when heated.  This is not likely
to be a problem.

Chlorine-36 is a hot beta emitter with a long half life.  It is used
here and I know of no particular problems except worry that if it
is spilled and causes contamination, there is no way to wait it our,
surfaces that can not be cleaned will likely have to be removed.

Peter G. Vernig, VA Medical Center, vernig.peter@forum.va.gov

VA Medical Center, 1055 Clermont St. MS 115 - DISCLAIMER
Denver, CO 80220; 303-399-8020 x2447 FAX 393-4656 Opinions = Mine
FAX 303-393-4656, vernig.peter@forum.va.gov Opinions =/ VA or USA