Re: Review of Records by Inspectors

I spent 25 years in Commercial Nuclear Power as Staff HP, EmerPlan, LLRW, and
finally in Quality Assurance (those what can't, audit?).  In that time, and by
working in more than 20 power plants (yep - had to stay one step ahead of my
creditors) this rule as stated below was universally accepted by those being
inspected/audited.  NEVER LET AN INSPECTOR/AUDITOR have originals!

As to the second statement, e.g., STYLE - Tell them to "{insert one's own
preference here on what to do with obnoxius, ignorant, do-it-my-way or else
idiots}"  Unless there is a regulation (i.e., Code of Federal Regulations) on
what records to maintain, and how to maintain them, (hard copy vs. electronic
media) these are your records.

Finally, (this relates to the above) I have never had an NRC inspector tell me
HOW to FIX or MAINTAIN anything.  Mind you, they have told me that the way I was
doing things was not right (does the acronym NOV mean anything?) but they have
never told me how to fix what was wrong.  This statement does not apply to EPA,
DOT, (for a very short period of time - DOE), State and others, however, at
power plants, we did not worry so much about the others, just the NRC.  (I will
say that there was one state guy in Texas who caused me some hairloss, and
because he is still there I won't mention his name, but we finally agreed on how
to do Emergency Planning and everything got better after that!)

Remember, the inspectors are to provide oversight!  They do not manage, nor do
they fund your operations so that they can provide direction on how to do
anything.  If what they want is not regulatory based, it is a Division 3
response (nice to do, but they can not enforce!)

Hope all who read this have a great weekend.

Best regards, and peace

Ron Goodwin - Ohio

Ronald_Goodwin@health.ohio.gov