Re: Regulators

Sometimes regulators let what little power they have go to their heads.
 About a year ago I received a call from an NRC employee in the Walnut Creek,
California office.  He
had somehow heard of the training courses that I am involved in and he wanted
to know
more about the operation.  He may have thought that radioactive sources were
being used in the courses (which we do not do).  I thought that his call was
a bit out of line and that he should use his time and the tax payer's dollars
to talk to organizations where he did have a clear legal mandate.  I sent him
a brochure as he requested and have never heard from him again but I can see
how inspectors sometimes may be over-
zealous in doing their job.  I also remember one Chairman of a Radiation
Safety Committee  who made a major case out of someone throwing away a box
top without destroying the radioactive label on it.  He conducted a formal
investigation of the boxtop with a written report etc.  But then a few weeks
later he took over the duties as RSO without waiting for approval from the
NRC as required by the license.  He could not quite agree that all the rules
should be enforced equally and not just the ones that he found useful.