RE: Survey inst.

Hi Les and Radsafers,

I agree that with microprocessor controlled survey meters, lots more functions, checks and readings can and should be incorporated.

I have one example of a really poorly done electronic read-out:  the Victoreen 450.  When near background or very low dose rate readings are being taken, the output can swing to negative numbers, but the display reads POSITIVE.  There is no ability to display a minus sign or other indication of a negative output.  If the instrument is slightly mis-calibrated, it can appear to read  +x  when in fact it is detecting  -x .  I have mentioned this deficiency many times over many years to Victoreen.

This is not a total flame of Victoreen, I use my Model 450 ion chamber ratemeter a lot.

Cheers, Wes Van Pelt
vanpelt@ios.com