value. It's like participating in all the hallway conversations and the
technical presentations at the annual HPS meeting, but you can here and
see everything!!!

*** Reply to note of 04/23/96 07:41

From: Mike McNaughton
To: RADSAFE --INELMAIL RADSAFE

Subject: Re: ? RCM or RSO Pre-requisites
>In this new found age where Web "facts" replace formalized
>education and training, I have a serious question.
>
>What level of Health Physics experience or education is
>considered reasonable of an RSO (Rad Safety Officer)
>or RCM (Rad Con Manager)?

To me, the key aspect of this question is "experience" vs "education".  I
think we agree that both are important at some level, but what level?.
While I don't want to blur the issue, the related issue that concerns me is
the increased emphasis in the DOE world requiring higher levels of basic
education among technicians, e.g. RCTs, but also others.  I find that using
deductive skills to bridge the large chasm between basic knowledge
(fundamental physics) and application is difficult for some, and therefore
we may not be doing everyone a service by forcing more basic education on
them. What do others think?

Stay safe, mike (mcnaught@LANL.GOV)