Radioactive Lightning Rods in Brazil ??? -Reply

>>> Mark B. Mattheiss <DENMBM@AM.DAMES.COM> 04/23/96 02:19pm

I am trying to gather information on radioactive lightning rods used on
buildings in Brazil??  Specifically what isotope would they be, what is
the approximate activity of a rod, and how are they disposed of ??  Any
information would be greatly appreciated.

Please respond to me directly.

Mark B. Mattheiss
Health Physicist
Dames & Moore
Denver, Colorado e-mail - DENMBM@DAMES.COM

You may want to contact  Ismar Pinto Alves who works for the
Comissao Nacional de Energia Nuclear (CNEN). I know that they had a
campaign to callect those lightning rods. I think the ones in Brazil had
primarily Ra-226. CNEN requires licensing of the"Para-raios Radioativos"
radioactive lightning rods.
A fax# for CNEN is (was?)  (55)(21)546-2442
 mailing address:
Comissao Nacional de Energia Nuclear
Rua Gral.Severiano 90
Botafogo, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

Jose Lopez, PhD, RSO
UT Southwestern Medical Center at Dallas
(214)648-3952