Re: Age of design of nuclear power plants

Presently licensed U.S. plants were conceptually designed in the 1960s,
and there have been many add-ons to satisfy new regulatory requirements
during the great push for improved safety during the 1970s and following
Three Mile Island. The new conceptual designs of the 1990s are in the
process of being licensed generically. This process should be finished in
the nexy two years, in plenty of time for new orders; there is no
prospect for new plants being ordered before that.

Bernard L. Cohen
Physics Dept.
University of Pittsburgh
Pittsburgh, PA 15260