Re: Is DDT "nasty stuff"?

	I believe the statements about "suspected carcinogen" are a
hold-over from the 1960s and early 1970s. At the time DDT was banned in
about 1972, there were very extensive hearings and all the evidence was
carefully investigated. It was concluded that there is no evidence for
carcinogenicity. It is true that it concentrates in human fat and is lost
only slowly, but there is no evidence that this has been harmful to
health. DDT has caused problems in a few species of birds due to shell thinning
but I said "harm to human health".
	There are lots of things that would cause trouble if 20 grams
were ingested. I believe that much copper would be fatal. Is copper "nasty
stuff"? The fact that organisms sometimes mutate to become resistant is
true of almost anything. For example, does that make penicillin "nasty
stuff"? If you do enough studies, you will probably find problems with
any substance, and there is probably nothing that has been studied as
thoroughly as DDT--- surely not the insecticides that have replaced it. DDT
has been sprayed at regular intervals in the homes of hundreds of
millions of people for many years, without evidence for harm to them. It
was sprayed on millions of people (e.g. war refugees for de-lousing) without
evidence of harm.
	DDT was over-used by farmers, but no obvious harm was done. Ruckels-
house banned DDT as a political move to win support for EPA from
environmental groups at a critical time, and he later admitted as much.
The ban was against the recommendations of his advisory committee that
had held the extensive hearings.
	DDT has saved many millions of lives, relieved hundreds of
millions from the scourge of malaria, and harmed no human. Do you know
anything else that has been as valuable? That's why I object to it being
singled out as a prime example of "nasty stuff".

Bernard L. Cohen
Physics Dept.
University of Pittsburgh
Pittsburgh, PA 15260